Monday 4 April 2016

Day 27 – Cracking

This what I look like today.



I was chatting to the other jaw surgery guys in Graham's Slack group today. It's quite amazing just how diverse people's experiences can be. Most people seem to have the splint kept in for at least a few weeks and be banded pretty much completely shut with wires or elastics. My experience is quite mild in comparison: The splint was only used during the actual operation, and my elastics haven't been too bad.

One thing that is common and that I haven't mentioned on here before is cracked skin.

My lips were very chapped in the first couple of weeks after surgery. That is to be expected given that I couldn't close my mouth properly. Another problem was a rash. The dribbling had caused a rash round my mouth, similar to what you sometimes see with babies. That was quite painful, but my stubble covered up most of the ugliness. Also, the skin on my face started to crack. Just by the side of my nose, there was a bit of skin that cracked quite badly and would bleed quite a bit. I gather that this is a side-effect of swelling.

Thankfully, all these have healed.

Today's menu:

A few bananas and some chicken sandwiches. I was still pretty full from the epic Japanese food last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment