Wednesday 16 March 2016

Day 9 – Back to MaxFax

Today was the day of my first post-operative check-up with the surgical team. To mark the occasion, here are some photos of me looking clean(ish)-shaven and wearing something other than pyjamas.


Like drinking coffee, shaving is normally a hazardous activity for me  at the best of times – even if I do leave some stubble – nevermind when the face is still tender, swollen and a bit numb. So please forgive the unkemptness.

James (the Dingle1, not the cat) drove us to Dingletown for the appointment.


The hospital was in maximum-efficiency mode as I the doctor called me through EARLY. #BigUpTheNHS. The surgeon was in Walsall today (where I had come from), so I saw one of the juniors.

The operation was a success. The mouth is healing very well. I should regain all feeling that I lost – even the nerve that was deemed to have most likely been frayed is starting to recover function. So good news.

The X-rays looked pretty cool. I forgot to ask for them to be emailed to me so I can post them here, but I will do next time. I have two titanium plates in the bottom jaw, and three in the top.

I'm always very organised when I see a doctor myself or go with someone else, and always prepare a list of questions to ask.

Do I need to do jaw exercises? Graham's blog and the global support group I'm in suggest that I may.
Not yet. If range of motion is still limited a few weeks, then maybe.

When is it safe to blow my nose or sneeze?
Two to three weeks.

What about the stitches?
They will dissolve by themselves. I should start brushing them away after the weekend. Ouch.

When can I do cardio, weights, and sports?
There is no surgical reason why I can't do any now. My face isn't going to fall apart if I get hit by a disc. The issue is fitness. I'll be very unfit for another two weeks as my body diverts much of its attention and blood to healing my broken jaws.

Tomorrow morning I have my orthodontic post-op check-up. Once again this is a shining example of the recent outbreak of efficiency within the NHS in the Black Country. I was meant to be having it on Friday with the locum from London, but the secretary phoned me today and said that my normal orthodontist will be able to see me tomorrow. Bonus.

From a maxfax point of view, the bite is good enough. We'll get an idea tomorrow as to what degree of perfection orthodontics will be able to achieve.

Then it's back to work tomorrow. I no longer have to apply ice to my face to ease the swelling, so there's no reason why I can't work. Ten days off is a big difference compared to the three months I was initially told I'd need.

Luckily I can work virtually from the mother's place, so I don't need to rush straight back to London. Although I will be back in the office on Monday, much to the mother's disappointment.

I haven't broke the news to James yet2.

Today's menu was SLICED pear – complete with skin – for breakfast3; tomato with a hint of basil soup, and a slice of bread for lunch; and sausage and mash for tea..

I forgot to take a photo of lunch, but I'm sure most readers will be able to visualise a bowl of soup.

 



1. "Dingle" is the taxonym for supporters of Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club. Despite being a highly skilled mathematician, and thus very itelligent, James supports Wolves. The hospital is in Wolverhampton.

2. The cat, not the Dingle.

3. Partying hard today...

No comments:

Post a Comment