Friday 11 March 2016

Day 4 – Déjà vu

Facebook reminds me of this from five years ago:


This was from when I had a misfortune with my fingers and was keeping a photo diary. If you really want to see, here's the link, although I do not recommend it. I'm just glad that my body's healing processes continue to bring such joy to so many people.

Anyway, back to the face...

As was probably quite obvious given the tone of my previous two posts, the last couple of days had been pretty miserable. James (my cat) hadn't even ventured into the bedroom to visit me, so I must've been pretty awful company – he's normally attached to me like a koala,


Me and James

Today was an improvement. My head finally feels as if it has stopped inflating like Aunt Marge. James (a human mate, not a cat) came round with some ice. We have been having a minor ice-crisis as the freezer has for some reason been refusing to freeze ice-packs. I can only assume that it supports the junior doctors.

Another big milestone is that I can now hold mouthwash in my mouth with my face held horizontally. This may seem like a major feat in contortion – it's not. I am describing using mouthwash like a normal human being. Since the operation, this has been how I have been washing my mouth:
  1. Look up at the ceiling
  2. Open mouth wide
  3. Pour mouthwash into mouth
  4. Swill mouthwash around mouth by shaking head like a penguin attempting to swallow a fish whole
  5. Still looking at the sky, attempt a duckface
  6. Pinch lips together tightly
  7. Swill mouthwash around front of mouth
  8. Open mouth and drain..
I can close my mouth!
Gladly, the swelling of my lips has reduced sufficiently that I can now hold mouthwash in my mouth. I'm still drinking through a syringe, but I have managed to take a couple of sips from a glass. When I told the mother of this miraculous development, she thought I was trying to say that I had found her misplaced glasses. But I'm not quite capable of such great miracles.

Given the reduced swelling, I was able to eat today. Breakfast consisted of blended sausage. Because it is Friday, tea was a blended version of my famous salmon, pasta, veg and cheese sauce dish from my student days

Sausage
Salmon
Jelly and cream
.
By the way, if anyone needs a laugh, this was my source of entertainment last night. The latest controversy to inflict my old uni.




No comments:

Post a Comment