Monday 14 March 2016

Day 7 – Drugs

Detox is over.

Yesterday, I started drinking from a glass again. Today, I thought I'd be very ambitious and attempt a feat which is incredibly dangerous for me even when I do not have a swollen and numb face.

I decided to drink coffee.


It tasted beautiful and I didn't spill a drop.

When the swelling goes down, being able to safely drink coffee without some of it pouring out of an oversized bottom jaw will be one of the main benefits of the surgery.

So, I have restarted caffeine. But today I gave up a different drug. I had the last of my course of antibiotics, so hopefully I won't be experiencing the banana-flavoured medicine for a long time. That's not to say I didn't like the co-amoxyclav – I just have a slightly clearer conscience now that I am no longer contributing to the antibiotic-resistance apocalypse.

I've joined a global support group for people who have had or are going to have their jaws broken. Makes me realise that the Internet is a pretty cool thing1.

One piece of advice that I had heard about before surgery but deliberately chose to ignore was to drink prune juice from day one. I normally have the opposite problem, so prunes weren't a priority. I kind of regret that now2.

At least the mother has given up on her evil plot to spike my food with laxatives.

A cool piece of advice that I've had is that whistling helps to break the scar tissue up. I managed to whistle today for the first time in my life that I can remember. I've always been able to make some sort of whistling noise by whistling inwards (sucking as opposed to blowing), but it;s nice to be able to do it properly.

I realised this morning why my gums hurt when I brush me teeth, and why there can be a lot of blood.


You may be able to make out the vertical stitches going down around my top teeth, and the horizontal line cut all along my upper jaw at the very top of the gums. Fingers crossed they will dissolve. I wouldn't fancy a trip to Wolverhampton to have these stitches pulled out....

Today was also the first time I've ever had to submit a doctor's note for time off. That was quite sad. Even though I am making huge progress, I'm still nowhere near ready for work with general lethargy, inability to speak properly, and need to spend several hours a day with ice attached to my face to ease the swelling.

Although if I hear the Cher song from the Amazon Prime advert one more time, I may end up running to Birmingham and jumping on the first Pendolino back to London3.

 

I really liked the advert at first.It definitely raised Amazon Prime's Brand Awareness with me. But, given that it seems to be on at least once in every single commercial break, its Net Promoter Score has taken a tumble for me over the last couple of days4.

Today's menu was forked pear for breakfast (again), and chicken casserole for tea. And three cuppas. I managed to eat both meals without the aid of a mirror, which was nice.


1. Interestingly, this was the gist of today's CIMA studies

2. If the boss' boss is reading this, #sorrynotsorry. 

3. This has come on twice while I have been writing this post.

4. If you don't work in Marketing, then this sentence will mean nothing to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment